Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody



Recommended for ages 10-adult.

Very few avid readers have not heard of Isobelle Carmody and her Obernewtyn series. I only recently got around to reading the first book, Obernewtyn, and immediately wondered what on earth I had been waiting for. Carmody is known for being a skillful storyteller who asks punchy questions about humanity and the nature of good and evil, but Obernewtyn is so much more than that.

Set in a fantastical post-apocalyptic world, the story follows the early life of Elspeth - a girl with mysterious powers and a very good reason to hide them. The world in which she lives is governed by the cruelty and false religion of the Council who seek to find and destroy everyone who threatens to oppose their rule. As the narrative unfolds, we join Elspeth's quest to understand her growing abilities and the threat they pose to her life.

Full of suspense, this book will lead you from clue to clue as you discover Elspeth is facing a MUCH bigger problem than her own survival. As she finally learns, some things are worth more than one person's life...

PS. Check out the comprehensive fan site at http://www.obernewtyn.net/e107/news.php for the latest news on Carmody and the series.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At November 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Mariah said...

    Read most of the series
    I totally loved what I read
    They are such a good read. Thing is you need a lot of time to read them,therefore why i did not complete the series :o)

     
  • At December 14, 2010 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Mrs Huang said...

    That's so true. I'm waiting to get back into the series this Xmas holidays. My family get a bit insulted when I become preoccupied with a book for days on end. Some people think it's rude to read at the dinner table...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home