Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie


Recommended for ages 14-adult.

The Absolutely True Diary is a memorable book. It's both hilariously funny and really poignant at times as Junior relates his experiences of living on an Indian reservation while attending a rich white school off the reservation. I was laughing my head off at Junior's descriptions of himself by page two, and then ready to cry with Junior by page thirty. The narration in this book is so great that you basically become Junior - you think and feel like him by the end of the book.

Alexie's descriptions of Indian life are realistic, from the good to the bad and downright ugly aspects of life. The narrative moves swiftly and makes for compelling reading. The cartoons scattered throughout the book are essential for showing Junior's state of mind, making the book almost 20% graphic novel. Alexie's writing style is not forced or distracting - he wants you to look at his characters, not listen to his voice.

The only thing that let me down in this book was a page of references to Junior's genitals, which I know may be part of a boy's experiences but which means I can't teach this book to a class. And I really want to! It deals with the common themes of growing up - love, death, friends, family etc in an absolutely brilliant way. In fact, this book is now one of my favourite young-adult fiction books.

This book is more geared towards boys than girls, with Junior's experiences of love taking centre stage at times in the novel, but girls will find something to love about the book too. Better to wait till you're 14 or so because of its themes (which get heavy at times - although they are very true).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home