Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

Recommended for all ages.

Three Cups of Tea tells the inspirational true story of Greg Mortenson - an American mountain climber who failed to summit K2 (the second highest mountain in the world, located in Pakistan. As he struggled down from his attempt to summit he became lost (twice) and ended up collapsing in a tiny Pakistani village. He remained in Korphe until his health returned and as a result got to know the local people really well. He saw how they crossed the river (in a veggie crate on a rope) and how the kids got an education (sitting outside, teaching themselves) and he decided to do something to repay the village for its kindness. He decided to build a school. Building a school brought such a change to Korphe that Mortenson went on to raise money and build lots more schools, wells, clinics and centres.

Lots of other exciting things happened to Mortenson, including marrying his wife six days after meeting her, being kidnapped by the Taliban and meeting an Afghani warlord. Three Cups of Tea is remarkable because it shows just how much a single person can achieve in this world, and just how much we can help people who are less off than ourselves. In Pakistan a pencil costs one cent, yet so many kids have to do their maths in the dirt with a stick. I don't really like maths, but even I can see that that is unfair.

My favourite line in the book says "Terror doesn't happen because some group of people somewhere like Pakistan or Afghanistan simply decide to hate us. It happens because children aren't offered a bright enough future that they had a reason to choose life over death." If that doesn't sum up the world's problems, then I don't know what can.

I read the Young Readers edition which had handy maps, glossaries and character lists to keep me on track. It was a quick read, but really informative. I learnt so much and although I was left feeling slightly guilty at my own inaction to assist those living in need, I feel empowered to contribute what I can.

This book is recommended for all ages and all types of readers. It is pitched a reading level of about 12 or 13 years of age, but its message has relevance for any reader.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home