Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Boy in Striped Pajamas - John Boyne

Recommended for all ages.

I won't say much about The Boy in Striped Pajamas because I'm a bit behind in my reading of it, but I will say this: for all the hype I expected something more. Sure, it's a poignant read about the two boys and their friendship, and Boyne does a great job of getting you to simultaneously sympathise with and cringe at Bruno's actions, but I expected the ending to make me cry. Or even just tear up. Maybe this book was spoilt for me because I knew so much about it beforehand, or maybe it's just suited to younger readers.

I do find it interesting that this is Boyne's first kids novel - he seems to be able to write effortlessly for this audience which makes me curious to read his adult books.

I really wanted to love this book, but it just didn't work for me. Maybe the film version will be more up my alley.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home