Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Recommended for all ages.

Animal Farm - A Fairy Story is a classic book. It's politically insightful in its allegorical nature but also enjoyable as a tale about how even the most noble goals can be usurped by a cruel leader. Succinctly written, Orwell has created a timeless story which will make anyone empathise with the (non-pig/dog) animals.

At its most basic plot level Animal Farm tells the story of a bunch of animals who decide to overthrow their cruel human master and rule themselves. After the initial joys of success, the animals are manipulated into giving all power to the pigs - who then abuse that power and re-enslave the animals.

I skipped the introduction, preface and foreward (I hate that so many wreck the story or give away major plot elements like I just did in paragraph 2), though if I had read them I would've learnt that Animal Farm is an allegory about the Russian Revolution (which could have been interesting). Next time.

This is a great book for kids of any age - even young readers will feel a sense of injustice at the treatment of Boxer.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home