Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Heidi - Johanna Spyri


Recommended for all ages.

Heidi is a gorgeous classic kids book. It is written in the old tradition of kids books about sunshine and roses and adventure and friendship, and contains many beautiful messages about thinking of others and trusting in God. I'd always teased my sister for reading it as a child, but since rediscovering it on the library shelves I was pretty impressed. It's very well-written, fast-paced and full of vivid description. It will make you want to go to the Swiss Alps.

A lot of children's fiction today features disfunctional families and disempowered protagonists. It's a relief to read something so uplifting and soul raising. Heidi the girl is an admirable protagonist who makes the best of what she's got and works miracles in the process. If only more kids could aspire to be like Heidi!!!

People of all ages would do well to read Heidi, although it is more geared towards younger readers (say up to year 8).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home