Mrs Huang's Top Reads

This is where I vent and praise the books I've been reading. Some I've loved, laughed and cried at. Others have been deadly dull or poorly written, although I normally don't bother writing about those...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson


Recommended for all ages.

Danger, adventure, mutiny, buried treasure - Treasure Island was everything I expected it to be and more. This classic had been on my 'to-read' list for a long while, owing to my love of Stevenson's writings and pirate literature. And Stevenson does a marvellous job - the narrative is smooth and fast-paced and the writing is clear (allowing for its age), but it is the characterisation that will blow you away. From the creepy blind beggar (Pew) to wily Long John Silver and clever cabinhand Jim, Stevenson brings his characters to life as only a masterful storyteller can.

If you haven't read Treasure Island, here's your big chance. Particularly if you like reading good yarns about pirates. And it's squeaky-clean (unlike a lot of young peoples' fiction today).

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home